Position Title: PHP Back End Developer
Location: Costa Mesa, CA OR Brooklyn, NY
ULTRA MOBILE IS HIRING!
Ultra Mobile is a nationwide mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that develops first-of-its-kind mobile phone services to improve the quality of life for our customers. Our mission is to provide convenient and affordable solutions that connect people with their extended families living around the world, and to help make the American dream more accessible.
Founded by telecom industry entrepreneurs and activists for fair pricing, Ultra Mobile intends to change the way America keeps in touch with the world.
Why work at Ultra?
- Help build the business for future growth & success!
- Dive in to the innovative world of Mobile Telecom.
- Provide your vision and ideas while growing and learning on the job, gaining valuable, usable knowledge!
- Get in on the ground floor of a fast paced, casual, flexible, high tech, innovative company that has a great management team of successful entrepreneurs.
THE GENERAL SCOPE OF POSITION
- Support and extend our in-house PHP/Doctrine-based backend API; for new data consumers and business logic.
- You're going to live in the data layer and publish data via JSON/XML/HTML.
- Extend the existing functionality for new data consumers, including mobile apps and internal tools.
- Integrate with many backend services using PHP. Some use JSON, some XML, some use custom blobs of half-baked syntax.
- Join a small, talented team of designers and backend engineers.
- Process customer signups, understand and implement complex business logic, provide tools and customer touchpoints with the data they need.
WHO WE NEED
- You are a talented PHP developer, whether you are just starting out or experienced.
- You have experience with backend development, and you have some scripting skills (Python, Ruby or Perl) for backend reconciliation and automation/service tasks.
- You are familiar with the very latest in PHP.
- You have some experience as an API designer with external APIs, and you can adapt out internal APIs for various kinds of consumers - web, mobile, etc.
- You have SQL knowledge, you can write queries, and you understand normal forms.
- You know what a WSDL is, every morning you wash yourself with SOAP, you eat and sleep RESTfully, and carefully maintained API documentation makes you feel fuzzy inside.
- You want to do things the right way, with clean code, and you generally do; but you're pragmatic enough to know that sometimes, kludges are necessary.
- You are an excellent team player – you document your code, your update your API documentation, you can sit and work with your peers to sort out how something should work. You reuse existing patterns rather than re-writing from scratch.
- You get systems - how processes and software fit together to make one large puzzle. Complexity doesn't intimidate you. You don’t blindly follow specs, but ask questions when something doesn’t make sense.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related fields.
- 3+ years of recent PHP experience.
- Sharp with your insight. Humble with your knowledge. Patient with your peers.
- Enthusiasm. Diligence. Indomitability.